European shoppers are confirmed e-commerce users, new research suggests. More than 92% of European shoppers in nineteen European markets say that they buy online at least some of the time. Shoppers in most markets say that they mostly buy online because it is convenient.
Nine in ten shoppers buy online
More than nine in ten European shoppers say they buy online to some extent. At the extremes, just over 1% (1.4%) of 500 Swedish respondents say they never shop online – suggesting that 99% do. In Ireland, 2% (1.5%) of 400 shoppers never buy online, while 98.5% do. However, in Germany, 7% of 750 respondents say they never buy online, leaving 93% who do.
32% of UK consumers shop once a week
In most markets the largest group of respondents buys online more than once a month, although in the UK, the same proportion shop online once a week. In the UK, 3% of 1,000 shoppers questioned never shop online. However, the largest groups do so more than once a week (32%), with the same proportion shopping more than once a month (32%). Moreover, 10% say they shop online more than once a day.
In Germany, however, 7% of German shoppers say they never buy online, with the largest group buying more than once a month (37%). This is followed by those buying more than once a week (23%). In this market, 8% buy more than once a day.
Shopping habits after COVID
When shoppers were asked how their buying habits would change after the COVID-19, they say they will remain the same. However, in Portugal shoppers say they would buy slightly less online after COVID-19.
Why do consumers shop online
Convenience is the biggest e-commerce driver in almost every market, most notably in Spain. 79% of consumers in Spain say this is most important reason they shop online. It is also the leading reason in markets including Sweden (76%), Ireland (74%), France (73%), Italy (69%), Finland (66%), the UK and Romania (both 62%). Exceptions include Norway, where shoppers most often cite price (67%), with choice (44%) and delivery options (34%). These are listed before convenience (30%). In addition, in Germany choice comes first (55%), followed by price (54%) and only then convenience (48%) and delivery options (40%).
After convenience, other factors are more variable. In the UK price (47%) is just as important as choice (47%). Meanwhile delivery options (43%) and reviews (20%) are also factors. However, in Italy, price (63%) is the second reason to shop online, while fewer in that market cite choice (39%), delivery options (31%) or reviews (16%). French respondents primarily cite price (63%) and choice (52%).
Reasons for not shopping online
Those that do not buy online also have their reasons. 39% of UK respondents say they buy in-store because they always have, 25% prefer shops. Moreover, 14% say someone else does their shopping for them. In Romania, 37% say that someone else does it for them, and in France 41% say they have always have bought in-store, as do 36% in Germany, 50% in Italy, and 40% in The Netherlands.
The largest group of shoppers ‘strongly agree’ that speed of delivery is an important issue when buying in France (53%). However, they merely ‘agree’ in Denmark (62%), the UK (63%) and Slovakia (63%) and Italy (55%). The largest groups of shoppers say next-day delivery is important for most purchases in Spain (43%), Portugal (39%), the UK (37%).
More than a third of shoppers in Slovakia (35%) and Portugal (41%) are willing to pay for fast delivery only occasionally, but in Greece, 39% will usually pay for it. That said, approximately half of Greek shoppers (52%) and Portuguese shoppers (44%) also agree with the statement that online retailers should not charge extra for next-day delivery.
Shoppers also subscribe to a delivery subscription service such as Amazon Prime or ASOS Premier Delivery in markets including the UK (76%), Spain (68%), France (59%) and Italy (59%). Such services are also used by significant numbers in The Netherlands (45%), Germany (47%) and Denmark (43%).