Spanish e-commerce in 2021 generated 57.000 million euros in sales!

August 18, 2022 by
Frank Calviño

Spanish e-commerce closed in 2021 with a grand total of 57.000 million euros in sales. The sectors of activity with the highest revenues were clothing, with 8% of total turnover; services auxiliary to financial intermediation, with 6.6%; and travel agencies and tour operators, in third place, with 5.3%.

Do you want to know more about international commerce and e-commerce, and also get all the tips and news that might give your company an edge? Subscribe to Cross-Border Magazine and get your digital copy now for free!

Looking at the number of transactions we notice an 8.6% increase, more than 334 million transactions, in the fourth quarter of 2021, if we compare it year-on-year. Gaming and betting led the ranking by sales and purchases with 7.3% out of the total volume of transactions, according to data provided by the Comisión Nacional de Mercados y Competencia. 

Spanish e-commerce is mostly about buying abroad 

In terms of geographic segmentation, 40% of revenues in the fourth quarter of 2021 were destined for Spain. The remaining 60% corresponds to purchases made abroad from Spain.

This further confirms the year-round total deficit of 8.600 million euros, in the net foreign balance.

If we look at it the total number of transactions for 2021, 33.5% of sales online were from Spain to Spain and 66.5% were Spanish customers buying abroad.

The sectors with the highest volume of business from Spain to foreign countries are clothing (10.9%), services auxiliary to financial intermediation (10.3%), and air transport (4.7%).

Tagged with:
Ayden announced Payout Services, a new global fast payments service
Adyen, the global financial technology platform, announced the launch of Payout Services. This offering enables Adyen's customers to pay out funds purchased with the preferred method of their affiliated users...
June 6, 2023
PcComponentes is getting ready to launch its e-commerce in France
The Spanish pc parts and online tech products retailer PcComponentes is getting ready to launch its e-commerce in France.  This expansión has been expected for a long time and would...
June 5, 2023
Salesupply offers a new shared e-commerce customer service in Scandinavia!
By Salesupply - Expanding your e-commerce business to Scandinavia just became easier and more affordable. Webstores can now offer native customer service in the Nordic countries even when their customer...
June 1, 2023
Top crossmenu

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.