E-commerce turnover in Spain has increased to 18,933 million euros

April 11, 2023 by
Frank Calviño

E-commerce turnover in Spain has increased in the third quarter of 2022 by 28.8% year-on-year to reach 18,933 million euros, according to the latest e-commerce data available on the CNMCData portal. This figure is again the highest reached by eCommerce in the country, beating the last record, 18,190 million euros obtained in the previous quarter.

🔥Do you want to know more about international commerce and e-commerce and get all the tips and news that might give your company an edge? Subscribe to Cross-Border Magazine and get your digital copy now for free!🔥

The sectors of activity with the highest revenues were travel agencies and tour operators, with 10.5% of total turnover; hotels, with 6.1%; and air transport, in third place, with 5.7%.

If we look at the number of transactions, more than 333 million were recorded in the third quarter of 2022, up 17.1%. Gaming and betting led the ranking by sales and purchases (7.6%).

In terms of geographic segmentation, 46.8% of revenues in the third quarter of 2022 were destined for Spain. The remaining 53.2% corresponded to purchases originating in Spain and made abroad.

The net foreign balance (the difference between what is bought from abroad to Spain and from Spain to abroad) shows a deficit of 7,407 million euros.

By the number of transactions, 38.2% of sales and purchases are destined for Spain and 61.8% abroad.

The turnover of transactions originating in Spain and directed abroad amounted to 10,063 million euros, 23.6% more than in the third quarter of the previous year. 92.6% of purchases from Spain to foreign countries were made in stores located in the European Union.

E-commerce turnover in Spain by activity 

The branches of activity with the highest volume of business from Spain to foreign countries are clothing (8.0%), services auxiliary to financial intermediation (7.1%), and hotels (6.8%).

Sales from abroad to Spain amounted to a turnover of 2,657 million euros, 61.0% more than in the third quarter of the previous year. The European Union accounted for 60.3% of purchases from abroad.

Likewise, the areas of activity related to the tourism sector (which includes travel agencies, air transport, land transport, car rental, and hotels) accounted for 63.4% of purchases from abroad with Spain.

Google invests $350 million in Flipkart in a bet to control India
Google has invested nearly $350 million in Flipkart, becoming the latest big-name company to back the Walmart-owned Indian startup. Specifically, Flipkart explained in a press release that the tech company...
May 28, 2024
At least 95.8% of Europeans have shopped online during 2024 Q1
At least 95.8% of European consumers shopped online in the first quarter of this year. In the United Kingdom, that percentage was 93%. In the Netherlands, 96% of consumers shopped...
May 27, 2024
Temu's parent company, PDD Holdings, increased its profits by 245% during the 2024 Q1
Chinese group PDD Holdings, owner of e-commerce platform Temu and Pinduoduo, posted an attributable net profit of 27.997 billion yuan (3.592 billion euros) in the first quarter of 2024, an...
May 24, 2024
Top crossmenu

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close