Spanish e-commerce reached 21,803 million euros invoiced during 2023 Q3

April 8, 2024 by
Frank Calviño

Spanish e-commerce reached 21,803 million euros invoiced in Spain between July and September 2023, 15.2% more than in the same period of the previous year. This is a record figure and never before achieved for a quarter, according to data compiled by the National Markets and Competition Commission (CNMC).

According to the data published by the CNMC, more than 385 million transactions were recorded during this period, up 15.6%. Land passenger transport led the ranking in terms of sales and purchases (7%). On the other hand, the sectors of activity with the highest revenues were travel agencies and tour operators, with 13.2% of total turnover; air transport, with 5.6% and clothing, in third place, with 5.2%.

With respect to geographic segmentation, 44.6% of revenues in the third quarter of 2023 were destined for Spain. The remaining 55.4% corresponded to purchases originating in Spain and made abroad.

On the other hand, the net foreign balance -the difference between what is bought from abroad to Spain and from Spain abroad- showed a deficit of 8,984 million euros.

By number of transactions, 36.8% of purchases and sales were to Spain and 63.3% abroad. The turnover of transactions originating in Spain and directed abroad was 12,084 million euros, 20.1% more than in the previous year's third quarter. 94.1% of purchases from Spain to foreign countries were made in stores located in the European Union.

Travel agencies and fashion remain the most profitable

Travel agencies (10.5%) and clothing (8.0%) were the sectors with the highest turnover from Spain to foreign countries. Sales from abroad with Spain amounted to 3,100 million euros, 16.7% more than in the previous year's third quarter. The European Union accounted for 60.7% of purchases from abroad.

Similarly, the areas of activity related to the tourism sector (which includes travel agencies, air transport, land transport, car rental and hotels) accounted for 63.6% of purchases from abroad with Spain.

E-commerce revenues within Spain rose by 6.5% year-on-year to 6,618 million euros. In this context, travel agencies and tour operators (8.4%) led the turnover within Spain.

Google invests $350 million in Flipkart in a bet to control India
Google has invested nearly $350 million in Flipkart, becoming the latest big-name company to back the Walmart-owned Indian startup. Specifically, Flipkart explained in a press release that the tech company...
May 28, 2024
At least 95.8% of Europeans have shopped online during 2024 Q1
At least 95.8% of European consumers shopped online in the first quarter of this year. In the United Kingdom, that percentage was 93%. In the Netherlands, 96% of consumers shopped...
May 27, 2024
Temu's parent company, PDD Holdings, increased its profits by 245% during the 2024 Q1
Chinese group PDD Holdings, owner of e-commerce platform Temu and Pinduoduo, posted an attributable net profit of 27.997 billion yuan (3.592 billion euros) in the first quarter of 2024, an...
May 24, 2024
Top crossmenu

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close