Spanish e-commerce reached €18.19 billion in 2022

January 9, 2023 by
Frank Calviño

Spanish e-commerce continues to grow, and in the second quarter of 2022, it increased 33.1% year-on-year to reach €18.19 billion, according to the latest e-commerce data available on the CNMCData portal.

🔥Do you want to know more about international commerce and e-commerce and get all the tips and news that might give your company an edge? Subscribe to Cross-Border Magazine and get your digital copy now for free!🔥

According to the CNMCData research, the sectors with the highest revenues in 2022 were the following: 

  • Travel Agencies and Tour Operators had the best figures, 10.2%. Increasing by 3% compared to the previous quarter.  
  • Air transportation with 6.6%. This sector only grew by 1.3% compared to the previous quarter.
  • Apparel with 6.5%. The drop in this sector was 0.8%.
  • Services auxiliary to financial intermediation with 4.7%.
  • Hotels and similar accommodations with 4.5%.
  • Gambling and betting represented 3.8%.
  • Public administration, taxes, and social security with 3.6%.
  • Artistic, sports, and recreational shows with 3.2%.
  • Hypermarkets, supermarkets, and food stores with 3%.
  • Restaurants with 2.9%.

A record year for Spanish e-commerce 

More than 325 million transactions were recorded, up 16.4% in the second quarter of 2022. Restaurants lead the ranking for sales and purchases (7.1%), followed by gambling and betting (7%) and ground transportation (6.2%).

Regarding geographic segmentation, 46.8% of revenues in the second quarter of 2022 were destined for Spain. The remaining 53.2% corresponded to purchases originating in Spain and made abroad. Very similar to the data obtained in the previous quarter.

The net foreign balance (the difference between what is bought from abroad to Spain and from Spain to abroad) shows a deficit of 7,046 million euros. By the number of transactions, 37.5% of purchases and sales are destined for Spain and 62.5% abroad.

The turnover of transactions originating in Spain and directed abroad amounted to 9,683 million euros, 20.9% more than in the second quarter of the previous year. 92.3% of purchases from Spain to foreign countries were made in stores located in the European Union.

All in all, with this massive traction from 2022, it seems 2023 will be another strong year for Spanish e-commerce.

Ayden announced Payout Services, a new global fast payments service
Adyen, the global financial technology platform, announced the launch of Payout Services. This offering enables Adyen's customers to pay out funds purchased with the preferred method of their affiliated users...
June 6, 2023
PcComponentes is getting ready to launch its e-commerce in France
The Spanish pc parts and online tech products retailer PcComponentes is getting ready to launch its e-commerce in France.  This expansión has been expected for a long time and would...
June 5, 2023
Salesupply offers a new shared e-commerce customer service in Scandinavia!
By Salesupply - Expanding your e-commerce business to Scandinavia just became easier and more affordable. Webstores can now offer native customer service in the Nordic countries even when their customer...
June 1, 2023
Top crossmenu

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.